Charities Act 2009 – Establishment of the Independent Charities Regulator
17 July 2013
Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Alan Shatter TD, announced on the 10th July, 2013 plans to establish an Independent Charities Regulator under the terms of the 2009 Charities Act.
The new authority is set to come into operation in 2014.
Among its functions, the new Charities Regulatory Authority will:
- increase public trust and confidence in the management and administration of charitable trusts and charitable organisations;
- promote compliance by charity trustees with their duties in the control and management of charitable trusts and charitable organisations;
- promote the effective use of the property of charitable trusts or charitable organisations;
- ensure the accountability of charitable organisations;
- promote understanding of the requirement that charitable purposes confer a public benefit;
- establish and maintain a register of charitable organisations;
- ensure and monitor compliance by charitable organisations with this Act;
- carry out investigations in accordance with this Act;
- encourage and facilitate the better administration and management of charitable organisations by the provision of information or advice, including in particular by way of issuing guidelines, codes of conduct, and mode constitutional documents;
Click here to read more.
For further information on this topic please contact Joy Compton